Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Sovereign

 

II

 

(SP-170: t. 173; l. 166'; b. 16'3"; dr. 4'6" (aft); dph. 9'4"; s. 29 mph.; a. 2 3")

 

The second Sovereign (SP-170)-a steam yacht built in 1911 by Charles L. Seabury & Co., Morris Heights, N.Y.-was acquired by the Navy on 14 June 1918 from the estate of M. C. D. Borden. Commanded by Lt. C. F. Wure, she served the 3d Naval District as a patrol craft for 10 months. On 23 April 1919, her name was struck from the Navy list; and, soon thereafter, she was returned to her owner.