South Carolina, the eighth state, ratified the United States Constitution on 23 May 1788.
L'lndien (q.v.), a frigate originally built in Amsterdam for Continental American agents in France during the American Revolution, never served in the Continental Navy. A shortage of funds and diplomatic pressure from the still neutral Dutch government forced the United States Commissioners to transfer the ship to the King of France. She subsequently served the South Carolina Navy as South Carolina.
(Galley: 1. 52'6"; b. 15'; dph. 5'8"; cpl. 28; a. 1 24-pdr., 5 or 6 3-pdr. brass how.)
The second South Carolina was built for the Navy by Paul Prichard at Charleston, S.C., in 1799, apparently under the name Protector. Constructed and equipped for the Navy Department, South Carolina operated for the War Department as a coastal patrol vessel under command, in turn, of Capt. Samuel Hay-wood and Capt. George Nichols. South Carolina was sold at Charleston on 1 February 1802.