Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Smohalla

 

An Indian religious teacher who, during the second half of the 19th century, started a new way of tribal life for the Indians of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. He believed the Indian should drop the white man's religion and way of life and go back to the old ways.

 

(YT-371: dp. 206; l. 102'2"; b. 24'0"; dr. 9'7"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; cl. Allaquippa)

 

Smohalla (YT-371), a harbor tug, was constructed by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works, Inc., at Port Arthur, Tex., during the winter of 1943 and 1944; launched on 1 April 1944; and placed in service soon thereafter.

 

After being redesignated a large harbor tug, YTB-371, on 15 May 1944, Smohalla departed Port Arthur later that month and, upon arrival at Balboa, C.Z., reported for duty to the Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Ocean Area. In June, she moved from there to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, where she served the 14th Naval District until 1946. In October of that year, Smohalla joined the Pacific Fleet and was berthed at San Diego, Calif.

 

Smohalla was placed back in service at San Diego in July 1953. In August, Munsee (ATF-107) towed the harbor tug to her new asignment under the Commander, Naval Forces, Far East, at Yokosuka, Japan. During the years between 1953 and 1974, Smohalla has continued to serve in the Far East. In February 1962, shewas redesignated a medium harbor tug, YTM-371  As of 1974, Smohalla is still in service in the Far East.