An Onondaga chief during the mid-17th century.
(YT-370: dp. 206; 1. 102'2" ; b. 24'0"; dr. 9'7"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; cl. Allaquippa)
Skandawati (YT-370), a harbor tug, was constructed by Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works, Inc., of Port Arthur, Tex., in early 1944 and placed in service on 20 April 1944.
Skandawati departed Galveston, Tex., on 2 May 1944, transited the Panama Canal, and arrived at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in early July. There she reported to the Commander, Service Force, Pacific, and, in August 1944, made a round-trip voyage to Eniwetok Atoll and back to Hawaii.
In the fall of 1944, Skandawati returned to the western Pacific. Heading via Eniwetok and Ulithi atolls, she arrived at Guam in the Mariana Islands in late November or early December 1944. She served at Guam until 9 June 1946 when she sailed for Hawaii via Kwajalein Atoll. She arrived in Pearl Harbor on 14 August 1946. From there, she proceeded to Seattle, Wash., and thence to Astoria, Oreg., for layup with the National Defense Reserve Fleet.
Skandawati was out of service, in reserve, from October 1946 until reactivated in 1952. In October 1952, she arrived in Yokosuka, Japan, and after service there and at Sasebo, was reassigned to Subic Bay in the Philippines. She served at Subic Bay from 7 November 1954 until loaned to the Army in July 1970. During her second period of active service with the Navy, Skandawati was redesignated a medium harbor tug, YTM-370, in February 1962. She served with the Army until 15. February 1973 when she was struck from the Navy list and sold.