Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Siren

 

Minor divinities in Greek mythology who lure sailors to destruction by their singing.

 

_________

 

Siren (q.v.)-a brig built for the Navy at Philadelphia in 1803-has frequently been misspelled Siren

 

II

 

(Sch: dp. 315; l. 123'; b. 19'2"; dr. 11'  (mean);  s. 13 k.)

 

Eugenia, a steel-hulled, single-screw schooner built by Hawthorn & Co. at Leith, Scotland, in 1897, was purchased by the Navy on 9 June 1898 from Mr. J. G. Cassatt; renamed Siren and commissioned on 24 June 1898, Lt. John M. Robinson in command.

 

Siren served on the North Atlantic station from 25 July 1898 until the end of the Spanish-American War on 12 August 1898. During this time, she participated in the blockade of Spanish Cuba as a part of the North Atlantic Squadron. On 2 August, she captured the Norwegian ship, Franklin, with a cargo of provisions headed for the Spanish. Five days later, she assisted Viking in the capture of another Norwegian ship, the steamer Berzen, off Cape St. Frances.

 

Siren was decommissioned on 24 September 1898; and, on 22 June 1899, she was loaned to the Virginia Naval Militia. Subsequently, Siren served at the Navy Yard at Norfolk, Va., as tender to the receiving ship, Franklin, until struck from the Navy list on 30 August 1910.