Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Sioux

 

One of a group of North American Indian tribes formerly occupying the Dakotas and parts of Minnesota and Nebraska.

 

(YT-19: dp. 155; l. 84'6"; b. 19'0"; dph. 9'0"; dr. 8'0" (mean) ; s. 10 k.; a. 2 1-pdrs., 1 mg.)

 

Sioux-an iron-hulled tug built as P. H. Wise at Philadelphia in 1892 by Neafie and Levy-was purchased by the Navy on 25 March 1898. Acquired for the impending war with Spain, the tug was assigned to the Atlantic station and operated at the Norfolk Navy Yard. In 1901, she moved north for duty at the Portsmouth (N.H.) Navy Yard; and, in 1907, she was transferred to the Boston Navy Yard. She was renamed Nyack on 20 February 1918, and she was sold at Boston on 18 July 1921 to William S. Nolan.