Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Shubrick

 

William Bradford Shubrick born on 31 October 1790 at "Belvedere," Bull's Island, S.C.-studied at Harvard before accepting an appointment as a midshipman in 1806. Following service in the Mediterranean in Wasp, he served in Argus along the Atlantic coast of the United States.

 

After duty in Hornet early in the War of 1812, he was assigned to Constellation; and, while that frigate was at Norfolk, he led a party of bluejackets in beating off a British boat attack against Craney Island on 22 June 1813. He subsequently won a Congressional medal for service in Constitution during her capture of Cyane and Levant.

 

During the more than three decades separating the War of 1812 from the Mexican War, Shubrick commanded, in turn, Lexington and Natchez; directed operation of the West Indies Squadron from 1838 to 1840; and headed the Bureau of Provisions and Clothing from 1845 to 1846.

 

At the outbreak of the war with Mexico, Shubrick requested sea duty and, in Independence, sailed for the California coast to relieve Commodore Sloat in command of American Naval forces there. However. Commodore James Biddle brought his East India Squadron to Monterey, Calif., on 2 January 1847 only a week after Shubrick's arrival and assumed command. In April, Shubrick sailed for the coast of Mexico to head the blockade of Mazatlan and Guaymas. Early in June, Shubrick was recalled to California where Biddle restored him to overall command on 19 July and sailed for the East Coast.

 

Under Shubrick, the Navy successfully conducted the closing operations of the war on the Pacific coast. Highlights were the capture of Guaymas in October and of Mazatlan in November. San Bias fell in January 1848.

 

The following spring, Shubrick headed home and took command of the Philadelphia Navy Yard in 1849. He subsequently headed the Bureau of Construction and Repair. In August 1852, he became chairman of the Lighthouse Board.

 

In October 1858, Shubrick sailed in command of the fleet sent to South American waters to support diplomatic efforts to resolve differences with Paraguay resulting from the firing upon the USS Waterwitch.

 

In December 1861, Shubrick was retired; and he was promoted to Rear Admiral on the retired list on 16 July 1862. He died in Washington, D.C., on 27 May 1874.

 

III

 

(DD-268: dp. 1,215; l. 314'4 "; b. 30'11 "; dr. 9'4"; s. 34.7 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)

 

The third Shubrick (DD-268) was laid down on 3 June 1918 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass.; launched on 31 December 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas A. Bayard, granddaughter of Rear Admiral Shubrick; and commissioned on 3 July 1919, Lt. Comdr. C. H. Boucher in command.

 

After shakedown out of Newport, Shubrick departed New York on 27 October 1919, carrying currency and diplomatic representatives to Port au Prince, Haiti. After completing this mission on 31 October, she continued to the west coast, where she arrived on 27 November. On arrival at San Diego, she joined a reserve destroyer division; and, after conducting infrequent exercises off San Diego, Shubrick was decommissioned on 8 June 1922.

 

Shubrick was recommissioned on 18 December 1939 at San Diego, shortly after the outbreak of World War II. She refitted at Mare Island from 26 February to 16 March 1940 and departed San Diego for the Atlantic on 22 March. She was stationed in the Caribbean until 29 June, and formed part of the West Gulf Patrol from 13 to 22 May. From 2 July to 30 August, she trained Naval Reservists from Miami, Boston, and New York. She then underwent repairs at New York and Norfolk and departed the latter port on 6 November for Halifax, Nova Scotia. She arrived at Halifax on 21 November, was decommissioned on 26 November, and simultaneously commissioned in the British Navy as HMS Ripley. Shubrick was struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1941. HMS Ripley served on North Atlantic convoy routes until placed in reserve in January 1944. She was scrapped on 20 March 1945 at Sunderland, England.