Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Shoshone

 

A river in Wyoming.

 

III

 

(AO-151: dp. 7,761; l. 620'; b. 84'; dr. 32'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 52; cl. Maumee; T. 5-S-12A)

 

The third Shoshone (AO-151) was laid down on 15 August 1955 by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Pa.; launched on 17 January 1957; sponsored by Mrs. James E. Van Zandt; and placed in service with the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) in April 1957.

 

Shoshone is a contract-operated tanker with a civilian crew and, since being placed into service, has delivered fuel oil and gasoline to American Forces at Atlantic and Pacific Ocean ports. Into September 1974, she still operates with MSTS, now called the Military Sealift Command, from gulf coast ports.