Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Sheepscot

 

A river in Maine.

 

(AOG-24: dp. 2,270; l. 220'6"; b. 37'; dr. 17'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 62; cl. Mettawee; T. T1-M-A2)

 

Sheepscot (AOG-24), as Androscoggin, was laid down under Maritime Commission contract on 15 December 1943 by the East Coast Shipyard, Inc., Bayonne, N.J.; launched on 9 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John J. Gogan; (MC hull 2629) was acquired by the Navy on 13 June 1944; and commissioned on 27 June 1944, Lt. George A. Wagner, USCGR, in command. After brief service in the Atlantic, the gasoline tanker was transferred to the Pacific. Sheepscot ran aground and capsized near Iwo Jima on 6 June 1945. She was damaged beyond repair and was destroyed. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1945.