Any of numerous oceanic birds related to the petrels and albatrosses that usually skim close to the waves in flight.
(AG-177: dp. 935; l 165'; b. 32'; dr. 14'3") The second Shearwater (AG-177) was built by Hichenbotham Brothers Construction Division at Stockton, Calif. She was completed in April of 1945.
Shearwater began her naval service with the Military Sea Transportation Service in May 1964. Operated by a Civil Service crew, she operated in the Atlantic until mid-February 1969, when she was transferred to the Army.
(LCI(L)-882: dp. 381 (tl.) ; l. 159'0"; b. 23'8"; dr. 5'8"; s. 14.4 k. (tl.) ; cpl. 40; a. 5 20mm.; cl. LCI(L)-398) LCI(L)-882 was laid down on 22 September 1944 by the New Jersey Shipbuilding Co. at Barber, N.J.; launched on 18 October 1944; and commissioned on 25 October 1944.
LCI(L)-882 reported for shakedown on 31 October 1944 and thereafter remained in the United States. She was placed out of commission, in reserve, on 15 May 1947 and berthed with the Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. Reclassified LSI(L)-882 on 28 February 1949, she was nominated for conversion to a coastal minesweeper equipped with underwater object locating equipment in October 1950. On 7 March 1952, LSI (L)-882 was designated Shearwater (AMCU-40). Her conversion to a mine hunter was cancelled in January 1954, and she remained out of commission in Florida. Effective 1 July 1954, she reverted to LSIL-882, having never served under the name, Shearwater.
On 11 July 1956, LSIL-882 was certified as not essential to national defense, and her disposal was authorized on 12 July 1956. LSIL-882 was struck from the Navy list on that same date.