The largest Indian settlement in Pennsylvania during the first half of the 18th century located near the forks of the Susquehanna River.
(YT-369: dp. 206; l. 102'0"; b. 24'0"; dr. 9'7"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; cl. Allaquippa)
The second Shamokin (YT-369), a harbor tug, was constructed in 1943 by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works, Inc., at Port Arthur, Tex., and placed in service on 14 March 1944.
Shamokin moved from Port Arthur to Mobile, Ala., in early April 1944 and, from there later that month, to the Panama Canal Zone. While in transit, she was redesignated a large harbor tug, YTB-369, on 15 May 1944. The tug accompanied S. S. Race Point to Milne Bay, New Guinea, via Bora Bora in the Society Islands, arriving early in June 1944. She served at Milne Bay until December of 1945 when she moved north to Manus in the Admiralty Islands.
Shamokin's tour of duty at Manus lasted until 29 November 1946. On that date, under tow by Cocopa (ATF-101), she departed the Admiralty Islands for Pearl Harbor. Hawaii. Proceeding by wav of Kwajalein Atoll, Shamokin was towed into Pearl Harbor in January 1947. After six months at Pearl Harbor, she headed for San Diego and lay-up with the National Defense Reserve Fleet. Shamokin was placed out of service, in reserve, in August 1947 and remained berthed at San Diego until placed back in service in 1953. Shamokin departed San Diego on 9 July and stopped at Pearl Harbor and Guam en route to Subic Bay in the Philippines. She reached her destination in September 1953 and remained in service there until October 1971. In 1962, Shamokin was redesignated a medium harbor tug, YTM-369. She returned to Pearl Harbor in October 1971 and was placed out of commission, in reserve. There she remained until sold on 1 July 1972.