(SS-114: dp. 876 (surf.), 1,092 (subm.); l. 231'; b. 21'10"; dr. 13'1"; s. 15 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 38; a. 4 21" tt., 1 4"; cl. S-3)
S-9 (SS-114) was laid down on 20 January 1919 by the Portsmouth (N.H.) Navy Yard; launched on 17 June 1920; sponsored by Mrs. James E. Palmer; and commissioned on 21 February 1921, Lt. Comdr. Thomas Shine in command.
Following duty off the northeast coast, S-9 sailed from New London, Conn., on 31 May 1921, and proceeded via the Panama Canal, California, and Pearl Harbor to the Philippines, arriving at Cavite, Luzon, on 6 December. There she joined SubDiv 12, whose S-boats, along with those of SubDiv 18, had arrived on the 1st. In 1922, she sailed from Cavite on 11 October, visited Hong Kong from the 14th to the 28th, and returned to Cavite on the 31st. Again, in 1923, she departed from Cavite on 30 April, and visited Shanghai, Chefoo, and Chinwangtao, China, before returning via Woosung and Amoy to Cavite on 11 September. In 1924, she sailed from Manila Bay on 23 June, and again visited ports in China before returning to Olongapo on 23 September. Departing from Cavite on 29 October, she arrived at Mare Island, Calif., on 30 December. Remaining at Mare Island in 1925, she operated along the west coast in 1926, mainly at San Francisco, San Pedro, and San Diego. Departing Mare Island on 11 February 1927, she operated in the Panama Canal area from March into April, arrived at New London on 3 May, and spent the remainder of 1927 along the northeast coast. S-9 served in the Panama Canal area from February into April 1928, from January into March 1929, and from January into March 1930. Departing New London on 22 October 1930, S-9 was decommissioned on 15 April 1931 at Philadelphia. She was struck from the Navy list on 25 January 1937.