(SP - 712: length 36’6”; beam 7’; draft 2’6” (forward); speed 19 knots; complement 3; armament 1 machine gun)
The first Rush was built at Bakers Yacht Basin as a private boat and acquired by the Navy 1 May 1917 from Mr. N. H. White of Brookline, Mass. Assigned to patrol duty in the 4th Naval District, Rush was wrecked 8 December 1917 while bound for Philadelphia from Boston. Although all hands were saved and much equipment salvaged, the vessel was declared a total loss 12 December 1918. Her hulk was subsequently purchased during 1921 by R. B. Scott of Philadelphia, Pa., but she did not reappear on mercantile registers in the 1920s.
21 October 2005