A common Eurasian sandpiper.
(AMc - 59: displacement 340; length 98’6”; beam 24’; draft 11’; speed 10 knots; complement 17; armament 2 depth charge tracks)
The first Ruff (AMc-59), originally named Speaker, was laid down in 1940 by Martinolich Shipbuilding Co., San Diego, Calif.; acquired by the Navy 31 December 1940; named Ruff and designated AMc-59 on 5 March 1941; launched 24 April 1941; sponsored by Miss Martha Jane Shown; and placed in service 31 October 1941, Ens. W. H. Roberts, USNR, in command.
Assigned the 14th Naval District, Ruff was escorted to Pearl Harbor where she arrived 11 March 1942 for duty. A coastal minesweeper equipped with acoustical, magnetic and "O" type gear, she operated in the Hawaiian Islands throughout the war. From January 1943 through September, she was stationed at the section base at Bishops' Point, Oahu, Hawaii. She remained with the Hawaiian local defense forces through September 1945.
Ruff was placed out of service at San Diego 23 January 1946, was struck from the Navy list 7 February 1946, and released to the Maritime Commission for disposal 29 August 1947.
21 October 2005