An island off the coast of Talbot County, Md.
(YFB - 44: tonnage 612; length 192’; beam 36’2”; draft 10’2”; speed 10 knots)
Side-wheel steamer Royston (YFB-44), ex Robert E. Lee, was built in 1912 by Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, Md.; acquired by the Navy on charter from Fabian P. Noel at Washington, D.C., 20 January 1943; commissioned 22 January 1943; and assigned to the 5th Naval District for transport use.
She decommissioned at Washington, D.C., 30 April 1943 and transferred to the War Shipping Administration for return to her owner. She was struck from the Navy list soon thereafter.
21 October 2005