(SP - 90: tonnage 20; length 50’; beam 15’; draft 3’3”; speed 9 knots; complement 6; armament 1 1-pounder, 1 machine gun)
The first Rondo was built during 1915 by Rhod River Shipbuilding Co., Md., as a private boat; acquired by the Navy 16 May 1917 for service as a patrol boat; and commissioned 14 November 1917, Chief Boatswain's Mate R. N. Denny in command.
Rondo operated on patrol duty out of Key West, Marathon, Long Key, and Bahia Honda Viaduct, Fla., through 1918. While anchored in North Beach Basin, Key West, 9 September 1919, Rondo and seven other patrol boats were completely destroyed by a hurricane. Struck from the Navy list 4 October 1919, all recovered wreckage from Rondo and the other vessels was burned or turned into stores.
20 October 2005