A county in North Dakota.
(AKA - 99: displacement 14,200 (full load); length 459’2”; beam 63’; draft 26’4”; speed 17 knots; complement 425; armament 1 5”, 8 40mm.; class Andromeda; type C2-S-B1)
Attack cargo ship Rolette (AKA-99) was laid down 2 December 1944 by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Kearny N.J., for the Maritime Commission; launched 11 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. William U. Kirsch; acquired by the Navy on loan-charter 26 April 1945; and commissioned at the Boston Navy Yard 27 April 1945, Comdr. Lamar M. Wise in command.
Rolette proceeded to Chesapeake Bay in May 1945, 2 days after Germany surrendered. She loaded her first cargo on the 30th and sailed for Pearl Harbor, where she unloaded and took on construction material for Guinan, Samar Island, Philippine Islands. As the crew was discharging her cargo there in mid-August, they heard of the Japanese surrender. Rolette was ordered to operate with the amphibious ships carrying the Army Occupation Forces to Japan from the Philippines. During September and October she debarked troops at Tokyo, Hokkaido, and Hakodate.
The transport returned to the United States toward the close of 1945 and decommissioned at San Francisco, where she was a unit of the Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy list 23 April 1947.
Rolette was reacquired by the Navy 13 August 1951 and recommissioned 23 February 1952 at Oakland, Calif. She proceeded to her homeport, Norfolk, Va., to operate as a unit of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. From April to October 1953, the ship served with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. On this deployment she landed food, medical supplies, and workers to aid the citizens of Argostolic Bay [sic; Argostoli Bay], Greece, after a devastating earthquake.
Rolette underwent overhaul and refresher training during 1954, and on 5 January 1955 departed Norfolk for San Diego. On 31 March she joined an amphibious squadron for a 6-month's tour in the western Pacific and participation in landing exercise "Navmarlex 1-55" conducted at Okinawa in June. She returned to San Diego 30 September, underwent a brief period of upkeep, and took part in the exercise "Pactrex 56" in November.
She decommissioned at Mare Island 1 May 1956 and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet, where she remained until struck from the Navy list 1 July 1960.
20 October 2005