Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Rogers Blood

 

Rogers Blood, born at Manchester, N.H., 29 January 1922, enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve 3 January 1942. He accepted a commission as second lieutenant 13 January 1943, and was promoted to first lieutenant 1 February 1944. He served at the Marine Barracks, Quantico, Va., and at Camp Lejeune, N.C. From 21 May 1943, he served in the Pacific Theater of World War II. On 18 February 1944, while leading his platoon in a valiant charge across open terrain in the face of severe hostile machinegun, mortar, and rifle fire to dislodge the heavily entrenched enemy, on the Japanese stronghold of Engebi, he was killed. Lieutenant Blood was posthumously awarded the Silver Star Medal for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity.

 

(APD - 115: displacement 1,650; length 3060; beam 370; draft 127; speed 23 knots; complement 204; troop 162; armament 1 5, 6 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 depth charge tracks; class Crosley)

 

Rogers Blood was laid down as DE-605 on 12 April 1945 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co., Hingham, Mass.; launched 2 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Robert M. Blood; redesignated APD-115 on 17 July 1945; and commissioned 22 August 1945, Comdr. John W. Higgins, Jr. USNR, in command.

 

On 8 September, Rogers Blood departed Boston for Guantanamo Bay where she completed a 6-week shakedown cruise, and was then ordered to Chester, Pa., to participate with Sabalo (SS-302) in Navy Day ceremonies which brought approximately 40,000 persons as visitors. She was in the Norfolk Navy Yard from 31 October to 15 November, then sailed to Jacksonville, Fla., where she reported to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. On 18 November she arrived at St. Johns River for lay-up.

 

Rogers Blood was placed out of commission in reserve 19 March 1946 and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she remained until struck from the Navy list 1 June 1960 and sold 14 December 1961 to the Southern Scrap Material Co., of Louisiana.


20 October 2005