(AGB: tonnage 2,122; length 230’; beam 42’; depth of hold 24’; complement 96)
Rogday was built during 1915 by Manitowoc Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Manitowoc, Wis., as the steel freighter Nevada; purchased in 1917 by the Imperial Russian Government for use as an icebreaking transport vessel and renamed Rogday. Remaining in American waters due to the deteriorating political situation in Russia during 1917, Rogday was acquired by the U.S. Shipping Board and transferred to the U.S. Navy 15 November 1918 at Sydney, Nova Scotia. Rogday was commissioned 22 November 1918 at Sydney, N.S., Lt. Comdr. J. N. Patton, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to duty in the 1st Naval District with the view of using her as an icebreaker, Rogday departed Sydney 5 December 1918 for Halifax and Boston. She remained inactive at Boston until June, when she was ordered to sea to assist the damaged cargo ship West Grama (SP-3794) west of Bermuda. Continuing on eastward, Rogday anchored at Bermuda 7 June to 11 June 1919. Returning to Boston, she was placed out of commission 18 June 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board 24 September 1919. Transferred to representatives of the Czarist government the same day, Rogday was sold to Père Marquette Line Steamers Co., Grand Haven, Mich., in 1921 and renamed Nevada. She served several owners until transferred to the Maritime Commission in 1943.
20 October 2005