A town in Illinois.
(PF - 48: displacement 2,415 (full load); length 303’11”; beam 37’6”; draft 13’8”; speed 20 knots; complement 190; armament 3 3”, 4 40mm., 9 20mm., 2 depth charge tracks, 8 depth charge projectors, 1 depth charge projector (hedgehog-type); class Tacoma)
Rockford, projected as PG-156, was laid down 28 August 1943 as PF-48 by Consolidated Steel, Los Angeles, Calif.; launched 27 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Harry L. Crotzer; and commissioned 6 March 1944, Comdr. D. H. Bartlett, USCG, in command.
Following shakedown off Los Angeles, she reported to the Pacific Fleet and got underway 25 June 1944 for the southwest Pacific. On 2 July she attacked an enemy submarine with depth charges, doing some damage. She made a second antisubmarine attack with "hedgehogs" on 7 July and proceeded via Espiritu Santo to Australia arriving Cairns 23 July.
On 2 August Rockford moored in Milne Bay and operated on convoy escort duty and antisubmarine patrol off the New Guinea coast until 23 September when she made a brief run to Manus Island, Admiralties.
She then returned to New Guinea until 15 October when she steamed via Manus Island and Pearl Harbor. En route she attacked a Japanese submarine 13 November with hedgehogs, resulting in possible damage. She arrived San Francisco 17 November for scheduled repairs.
Rockford then reported to Commander, Alaskan Sea Frontier for duty, 4 January 1945, and operated until August at Dutch Harbor, Cold Bay, and Adak as pilot vessel for the AM-222 group.
Rockford was leased to the Soviet Union as EK-20 on 27 August 1945, and returned to the United States at Yokosuka, Japan, 1 November 1949. She was then loaned to Korea 23 October 1950 to enforce the blockade against North Korea and harass the enemy. She served the Korean Navy as Apnokkang (62) until returned to the U.S. Navy 3 September 1952 and assigned a status of inactive out of commission in reserve. Rockford was struck from the Navy list 26 May 1953 and sunk as a torpedo target 30 September 1953.
Rockford earned two battle stars for World War II service.
19 October 2005