Robert H. McCurdy
(SP - 3157: tonnage 735; length 178’; beam 37’2”; draft 12’1”; complement 32)
Robert H. McCurdy (SP-3157), a wooden schooner built in 1903 by Cobb, Butler & Co., Rockland, Maine, was purchased by the Navy from W. S. Job & Co. and taken over at Norfolk, Va., on 25 July 1918. Commissioned the same day, Lt. S. O. Fernstron, USNRF, in command, Robert H. McCurdy remained in the Norfolk area until mid-August; then shifted to Lewes, Del. Into October, she operated with the submarine tender Savannah (AS-8), assigned to Division 8, Submarine Force; but, by the end of the month, had taken up duties out of Cold Springs Inlet, N.J. On 29 November she sailed to Atlantic City, whence she participated in clearing minefields east of that resort town until 8 December.
The schooner then returned to Cold Springs Inlet where she remained until towed to Philadelphia at the end of January 1919 for inactivation. Arriving on the 29th, Robert H. McCurdy was decommissioned early in February and was subsequently struck from the Navy list and sold.
14 October 2005