A shortened name for the town of Rivera de San Fernando, Zambales Province, Philippines.
(Launch No. 685: length 71’; beam 12’5”; class Launch No. 681)
Rivera was launched 12 February 1907 by the Cavite Navy Yard, Luzon, Philippine Islands, as the wooden, 150-horsepower, self-propelled working launch No. 685 and completed during April 1908. Working launch No. 685 operated as district craft in the 16th Naval District (Philippine Islands) until the early 1920s when she was placed out of service. She was reclassified as a yard ferry, YFB-685, on 17 July 1920 and named Rivera in 1921. Rivera was again placed in service about June 1924 to replace YFB-2494 and YFB-4753 in local transport service at Cavite Naval Station. Although scheduled to be replaced by 1933, Rivera was still in service on the outbreak of World War II in the Pacific, but was lost on 2 January 1942 when Japanese troops entered Manila. Rivera was struck from the Navy list on 24 July 1942.
14 October 2005