(SP - 63: length 43’; beam 9’; draft 2’7”; speed 19 knots; complement 7; armament 1 1-pounder)
Rivalen was built during 1917 by George Lawley & Sons, Neponset, Mass., as a wooden private boat; acquired 17 April 1917 for U.S. Navy service as a patrol boat from her owner, W. Harry Brown of Pittsburgh, Pa.; and delivered 29 June 1917 to Boston Navy Yard. Although her Petty Officer in Charge, Coxswain James R. Hanham, reported on board 17 November 1917, Rivalen did not enter service until 12 May 1918.
Active on patrol duty in Boston Harbor from May to July 1918, Rivalen was found unsuited to her duties and remained idle into 1919. Returned to her former owner 5 May 1919, she was renamed Tremont under new ownership in 1921 before disappearing from yacht registers in the early 1930s.
14 October 2005