Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ripley

 

A small city in Tennessee.

 

(PC - 808: displacement 375; length 1749; beam 23; draft 76; speed 20 knots; complement 62; armament 1 3, 1 40mm., 5 20mm., 2 depth charge projectors, 2 depth charge tracks, 2 rocket launchers)

 

PC-808, a steel-hulled submarine chaser, was laid down 16 October 1943 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; launched 27 November 1943; and commissioned at Puget Sound Navy Yard 7 March 1945, Lt. William H. Barton, Jr., in command.

 

Departing Portland 18 March, PC-808 cruised down the coast and underwent shakedown and training out of San Pedro and San Diego, Calif., through the end of April. Standing out of San Diego the 29th, she arrived at Pearl Harbor 7 May, where she conducted further training exercises and patrols for the next 2 weeks. The submarine chaser then commenced patrol and escort operations that took her from Pearl Harbor to Eniwetok, Saipan, Ulithi, and Guam through the next 7 months.

 

PC-808 called at Pearl Harbor 11 December, then proceeded to San Diego for the Christmas holidays. Scheduled for lay-up at Green Cove Springs, Fla., she transited the Panama Canal and reported to Commander, Atlantic Fleet, 6 January 1946. However, after 2 months in Florida, she put in at Charleston, S.C., 16 April-7 June for overhaul, after which she sailed for New York City, arriving there 9 June.

 

Thence sailing 22 June via Long Island Sound, the Cape Cod Canal, Halifax, and Montreal, she arrived at Chicago 7 July to take up reserve training and patrol duties on Lake Michigan.

 

After nearly 3 years of such Great Lakes duty, PC-808 departed Chicago and decommissioned at Norfolk, Va., on 10 March 1949. Named Ripley (PC-808) 1 February 1956, she was struck from the Navy list 1 April 1956 and thence sold to Hughes Bros. at Norfolk 17 August 1959.


14 October 2005