The Mexican name for the Rio Grande.
(Side wheel Steamer: tonnage 325; complement 44)
Rio Bravo, a light draft, side-wheel steamer, was purchased by the Navy in 1875 for special service on the Rio Grande as requested by Brig. Gen. E. O. C. Ord, USA, commander of the Department of Texas. For 5 years she operated out of Brownsville, cooperating with the military commandant of that city to protect the American frontier against raiders based in Mexico and to inhibit smuggling into the United States from the free zone in Tamaulipas. She also cooperated with the U.S. consul at Matamoros to protect American citizens during revoluntionary [sic; revolutionary] activities in that vicinity. The steamer was transferred to the War Department in June of 1880.
29 September 2005