Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ridgway

 

Towns in Colorado and Pennsylvania.

 

(PC - 1193: displacement 348; length 1749; beam 23; draft 76; speed 20.2 knots; complement 65; armament 1 3, 1 40mm., 2 20mm., 2 depth charge projectors, 2 depth charge tracks, 2 rocket launchers)

 

PC-1193, a steel-hulled submarine chaser, was laid down 30 June 1942 by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y.; launched 29 August 1942; and commissioned at the New York Navy Yard 21 January 1943, Lt. Marion L. Bohgren in command.

 

Assigned to Service Squadron 1, Service Force, Atlantic, PC-1193 departed New York 13 February 1943 for the Submarine Chaser Training Center, Miami, Fla., arriving on the 26th. Following 2 weeks of training, she commenced extensive patrol operations out of her homeport, Miami, on 17 April 1943.

 

Through the end of hostilities PC-1193 provided extensive patrol and escort services out of Miami, with periodic calls at Charleston, S.C., for availability. Returning to New York 10 December 1945, she was tentatively scheduled for disposal. However, she departed New York 16 November 1946 and cruised via Cape Cod Canal, Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Quebec, and then commenced patrol duty on the waters of Lake Ontario.

 

PC-1193 decommissioned at Boston 2 March 1950, and was placed in reserve there. Named Ridgway on 1 February 1956, she was sold to Hughes Brothers, Inc., 16 September 1959.



29 September 2005