(SP - 597: tonnage 40; length 70’2⅓”; beam 13’6”; draft 4’3”; speed 9 knots; complement 9; armament 1 3-pounder)
Rickwood was built during 1910 at Matthews Ship Building Co., Clinton, Ohio, as the private yacht Ethel M. Ward; acquired for the United States Navy 9 June 1917 from her owner, A. H. Woodward of Woodward, Ala., for service as a motor patrol boat; and commissioned 18 June 1917, Ensign George R. Bazzell, in command.
Rickwood was assigned to patrol duty at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla. She provided ferry service between the air station and the city of Pensacola, recovered downed aircrews and aircraft, performed local towing and rescue work, and patrolled the Florida coast near Pensacola. Turned over to Pensacola Naval Station 28 January 1919, Rickwood was returned to her owner 3 March 1919, remaining on the mercantile register until 1955.
29 September 2005