The first Richland (AK-207) was named for counties in Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
The second Richland (AFDM-8) was named for the city of Richland, Wash., site of the Hanford atomic energy research and production plant.
(YFD-64: displacement 8,000; length 622; beam 124; draft 6; armament 2 40mm., 4 20mm.)
The second Richland (AFDM-8) was built by the Chicago Building & Iron Co., Eureka, Calif., and commissioned as YFD-64 on 28 November 1944.
Drydock YFD-64 remained on the west coast until 15 December 1944 when she was towed to Pearl Harbor. On 25 January 1945 she was towed into Eniwetok and then on to Ulithi. She was next towed to San Pedro Bay where she worked until November when she was towed to Guam. She decommissioned there on 8 June 1946.
YFD-64 was redesignated AFDM-8 on 1 August 1946, placed in service at Guam on 1 January 1947. The floating drydock supported Fleet Ballistic Missile submarine maintenance at Guam for over forty years. She was named Richland on 6 April 1968.
The drydock was struck from the Navy list on 22 August 1997 and transferred to the local redevelopment authority in Guam on 6 April 1999.
29 September 2005