The first Richland (AK-207) was named for counties in Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
The second Richland (AFDM-8) was named for the city of Richland, Wash., site of the Hanford atomic energy research and production plant.
(AK – 207: displacement 7,450; length 338’6”; beam 50’0”; draft 21’1”; speed 11 knots; complement 85; armament 1 3”; class Alamosa; type C1-M-AV1)
The first Richland (AK-207) built under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2161) was laid down 15 January 1944 by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis.; launched 5 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Warren G. Brown; acquired from the Maritime Commission on a loan-charter basis 17 April 1945 at Port Houston Iron Works, Tex., where she was converted for Navy use and commissioned 22 April 1945, Lt. Isaac Hills III, USNR, in command.
Following shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, Richland transited the Panama Canal and reported to the Pacific Fleet for duty 10 June 1945. She arrived in Leyte Gulf 17 July and operated on cargo hauls in Philippine waters until steaming for the United States 9 November.
Richland transited the Panama Canal 16 December 1945 and proceeded to Norfolk. She then continued to Mobile, Ala., where she decommissioned 23 January 1946. She was struck from the Navy list 7 February 1946, redelivered to the Maritime Commission and placed in the Naval Defense Reserve Fleet. She was berthed at Mobile, Ala., through the first half of 1971 and subsequently scrapped.
29 September 2005