Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Rhodolite

 

A variety of garnet.

 

(PYc - 19: displacement 588 (full load); length 158; beam 28; draft 15; speed 11 knots; complement 56; armament 1 3, 4 machine guns)

 

Rhodolite, built in 1931 for Goodyear and Hollander by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, was purchased as the yacht Sea Pine from Mr. E. P. Larsh 29 December 1941 ; converted by the Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Tampa, Fla.; and commissioned as Rhodolite (PYc-19) 14 March 1942, Lt. George Reith in command.

 

Assigned to the 14th Naval District, Rhodolite departed Tampa 26 March and arrived at Long Beach a month later. Delayed there by repairs until 25 May, she arrived at Pearl Harbor 2 June and reported to Commander, Hawaiian Sea Frontier, for inshore patrol and escort duty. Shifted to weather patrol duty in October 1943, she remained in the Hawaiian area until after the end of World War II. In November 1945 she sailed back to the west coast and reported for inactivation at San Diego. Decommissioned 29 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list 21 January 1946, she was turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal in February 1947.



29 September 2005