John Keane Reybold, born at Delaware City, Del., 11 January 1903, was appointed midshipman 13 July 1922 and commissioned ensign on 3 June 1926. Having served in various ships including Idaho (BB-42), Utah (BB-31), Simpson (DD-221) (on the Asiatic Station), and Omaha (CL-4), he assumed command of Cowell (DD-167), on 17 June 1940. Detached on 23 September, he briefly commanded Claxton (DD-140) and on 31 October assumed command of Dickerson (DD-157). Commissioned lieutenant commander on 1 January 1941, he commanded Dickerson on Neutrality Patrol and, after December 1941, on coastal patrol and Icelandic convoy escort duty until 19 March 1942. On that date, Dickerson, enroute to Norfolk, was fired on by a nervous merchantman, SS Liberator. Liberator's shells hit the destroyer's charthouse, killing Lt. Comdr. Reybold and three others.
(DE - 177: displacement 1,900 (full load); length 306’; beam 36’10”; draft 11’8”; speed 21 knots; complement 208; armament 3 3”, 2 40mm., 8 20mm., 3 21” torpedo tubes, 2 depth charge tracks, 8 depth charge projectors, 1 depth charge projector (hedgehog-type); class Cannon)
DE-177 was laid down on 3 May 1943 by the Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Port Newark, N.J.; launched as Reybold (DE-177) on 22 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John K. Reybold, widow of Lt. Comdr. John K. Reybold; and commissioned on 29 September 1943, Lt. Comdr. A. B. Bradley, Jr., in command.
Following shakedown off Bermuda, Reybold operated briefly under ComSubLant, then completed an escort run from Rhode Island to the Canal Zone. She then steamed to Norfolk before the end of 1943 and, on 2 January 1944, she sailed south to join the 4th Fleet. On the 15th, she arrived at Recife, Brazil, whence she escorted ships to Trinidad and back until July, interrupting that duty only for air/sea rescue operations at the end of May. In July, she guarded the sealanes between Brazil and Gibraltar, anchoring off the latter 13-15 July and returning to Recife on the 23d to prepare for transfer to the Brazilian Navy.
Shifting to Natal on 9 August, Reybold was decommissioned and transferred under the terms of lend-lease to Brazil on 15 August 1944. Renamed Bauru, she continued operations under that name throughout the remainder of World War II and the 1940s. She was returned to the custody of the United States and transferred, permanently, under the terms of the military defense aid program, to Brazil on 30 June 1953. She served in the Brazilian Navy as Bauru (D-18) until 1973.
25 September 2005