Marked by firm determination; resolved. The first, third, fourth, and fifth Resolutes, retained the name from previous mercantile service. The second Resolute was so named upon entering U.S. Navy service.
(SP - 1309: tonnage 453; length 135’ (between perpendiculars); beam 30’; draft 14’6”; speed 12 knots; complement 55)
The third Resolute, a wooden salvage tug, was built during 1916 at Great Lakes Engineering Co., Ashtabula, Ohio, as SS Sarah E. McWilliams; purchased 8 August 1918 for the U.S. Navy from her owner, Merritt & Chapman Co. of New York; and commissioned 10 September 1918, Lt. (jg.) William E. Marcyes, USNRF, in command.
Resolute was based at Central District Salvage Station, Stapleton, Staten Island, N.Y., throughout her Navy career. She performed local towing duty, took part in several salvage operations, and assisted in patrolling the local anchorages into 1919. Decommissioned 15 May 1919, Resolute was sold to her former owner the same day.
During early 1942 Resolute again served the Navy, operating for several months under a charter to perform salvage work on the east coast. Resolute remained in mercantile service until scrapped in 1955.
25 September 2005