Resaca, a word of Spanish derivation, meaning an elongated inlet of water. Gen. Zachary Taylor defeated a Mexican Army column at the Resaca de la Palma near Brownsville, Tex., 9 May 1846.
(Steam Sloop: displacement 1,129; length 216’ (between perpendiculars); beam 31’; draft 12’; speed 11 knots; complement 213; armament 1 150-pounder rifle, 6 32-pounders, 3 24-pounders howitzer)
Resaca, a third-class screw steamer, was built at Portsmouth Navy Yard, N.H.; launched 18 November 1865; and commissioned in 1866, Comdr. J. M. Bradford in command.
Assigned to the Pacific Station, Resaca was initially ordered to relieve the sloop Jamestown cruising off the Mexican and Central American coast in protection of U.S. citizens and property against threats of war and an uncertain political situation. An outbreak of yellow fever among the crew of Jamestown, however, caused both ships to be sent to cruise in Alaskan waters which was in effect a quarantine station. Both ships arrived at Sitka in August 1867, and Resaca remained in northern latitudes off the new U.S. Alaskan territory until returning in 1869 to San Francisco.
Proceeding to Panama on 23 November 1869, Resaca continued south to Callao, Peru, before commencing a long Pacific cruise on 16 May. Sailing westward, she passed through the Marquesas, Society, Friendly, and Fiji Islands before reaching New Zealand. On the return voyage she called at Tahiti on 15 June 1870 before arriving at Valparaiso, Chile, on 24 November. Soon afterward she preceded [sic; proceeded] to Callao for a refit and change of command before being detached from squadron duties in January 1871 to help survey the Isthmus of Darien. Returning to Panama 4 June she departed for duty as supply ship at Callao on 16 July, calling briefly at Guayaquil en route. In 1872 she returned north and was placed out of commission at Mare Island Navy Yard, Calif.
Resaca was sold 18 February 1873 at Mare Island to Messrs. Christopher Nelson, Charles Goodall, and George C. Perkins. Rebuilt by Dickie Bros. at San Francisco for service as a steamer capable of carrying 145 passengers, Resaca was renamed Ventura. Subsequently on 16 February 1875, she became the property of the Goodall, Nelson, and Perkins Steam Ship Co. engaged in coastwise California service. While serving in this capacity, Ventura was wrecked off Santa Cruz on 20 April 1875 and lost.
25 September 2005