To censure a fault, to rebuke.
Reproof (AM-290) was laid down on 1 December 1944 by the General Engineering & Drydock Co., Alameda, Calif.; launched 8 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. F. Clifford; and canceled on 11 November 1945. However, her hull was purchased by a merchant shipping company and she was completed in 1947 as the SS Harcourt Malcolm. She served under this name until 1953 when she was renamed Cotten Bay. She was renamed Stratford in 1960 and in 1968 renamed Anastasio, under which she served into the 1980s before disappearing from merchant shipping lists.
25 September 2005