In Roman mythology, the twin brother of Romulus, with whom he founded Rome.
(LST - 453: displacement 4,100; length 328’0”; beam 50’0”; draft 11’2”; speed 11 knots; complement 289; armament 1 3”, 1 40mm., 6 20mm.; class Achelous)
Remus (LST-453) was laid down by the Kaiser Co., Vancouver, Wash., 28 July 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Edward M. Argersinger; and commissioned as LST-453 on 21 January 1943, Lt. A. J. Hamre, USNR, in command.
Following shakedown off the west coast, LST-453 sailed west 2 March 1943 for Brisbane, Australia, via Pearl Harbor and Noumea. Arriving at Brisbane 8 May, she was converted to a repair ship and tender for amphibious craft.
She departed Brisbane for Milne Bay, 6 June 1943, arriving on 17 June as one of the first amphibious craft in New Guinea. Three days later she proceeded to Goodenough Island, where she tended and repaired LCTs and other small craft through the summer.
On 13 September she was ordered to Buna, where she added duties as flagship, Landing Craft Control Officer, to her activities. While at Buna LST-453 was the only source of supply for ships operating in the forward area and was required to tend up to 70 ships per month.
On 15 December LST-453 received several near misses from medium bombers which attacked her at Hanisch Harbor. She shifted to Cape Cretin, where there were also frequent air raids.
In January 1944 the ship was assigned a 400-ton pontoon drydock and she continued to operate from one to two drydocks throughout the remainder of her tour in the southwest Pacific, towing the drydock forward with her on every move.
On 15 April the ship was sent to the Admiralty Islands to service ships staging for the Hollandia-Aitape invasion. She returned to Cape Cretin on 24 April 1944 and continued operations in that area until 14 June 1944. She then sailed for Alexishaven [sic; Alexishafen] where she joined several other tenders on a rigid repair program to ready ships for future operations. On 15 August 1944 she was redesignated as ARL-40 and named Remus.
Departing from Alexishaven [sic; Alexishafen] 15 September 1944 for Mios Woendi, Remus became the advanced based tender of the 7th Fleet Amphibious Force. On 12 January 1945, she sailed for Leyte arriving on the 22d to operate there throughout the remainder of her foreign service. Charged with repairs to all LCTs in the area, she operated two drydocks, one 250-ton pontoon dock for LCTs, and one 400-ton dock for LCIs and LCSs.
Sailing east 17 October 1945, she transited the Panama Canal 6 December and arrived at New Orleans 8 days later to join the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Through the spring of 1946, she prepared landing craft for the mothball fleet, then on 15 July was herself decommissioned.
Struck from the Navy list 15 August 1946, she was sold to B. T. Jones for scrap 16 December 1947.
23 September 2005