Aid given in time of need.
(AG: displacement 578; length 117’7”; beam 28’8”; depth of hold 12’; complement 7 (original); armament none)
The fifth Relief was built in 1904 as a light vessel for the Lighthouse Service of the U.S. Treasury Department. She was employed as one of 10 reserve vessels designated "relief", assuming the name of the station lightship she replaced when on station. This vessel was acquired by the U.S. Navy 29 August 1918 and assigned to the 6th Naval District for service as a lightship. She was returned to the Lighthouse Service 30 August 1919, remaining on their registers through the 1920s.
23 September 2005