Aid given in time of need.
(SP - 2170: displacement 1,386; length 200’; beam 30’3”; draft 15’; depth of hold 20’7”; speed 14.5 knots; complement 58; armament none)
The fourth Relief, a steel wrecking tug built during 1907 by Harlan & Hollingsworth, was acquired 8 August 1918 for U.S. Navy service from the Merritt & Chapman Derrick and Wrecking Co. of New York; and commissioned 19 August 1918.
Relief operated as a salvage and wrecking tug in the New York area while assigned to the 3d Naval District into 1919. She was sold to her former owner 14 May 1919, and remained in commercial service between the two world wars. Returned to Navy service during World War II, Relief was operated by her owner under direction of the Bureau of Ships from 14 January 1942. Relief subsequently returned to mercantile service and was placed out of service in 1955.
23 September 2005