(TDE - 1: length 102’0”; beam 12’4”; armament 1 3”, 2 depth charge projectors; class Recruit)
Built to scale, exactly one-third the size of a destroyer escort, and commissioned 27 July 1949, the second Recruit served for 18 years as the only landlocked commissioned ship in the Navy. "Sailing" on a sea of concrete at the Naval Training Center in San Diego, she trained over 50,000 new recruits yearly in the fundamentals of shipboard drills and procedures with the use of standard deck and bridge gear found on all vessels, including lifelines, accommodation ladder, signal halyards, searchlights, engine order telegraph, and helm, but not engines and screw. She decommissioned in March 1967.
23 September 2005