Raymond J. Anderton
(SP - 530: tonnage 290; length 139’6”; beam 23’; draft 12’; speed 11 knots; armament 2 3”, 2 machine guns)
Raymond J. Anderton, built in 1911 by Robert Palmer & Son, Noank, Conn., was purchased from her owner, T. B. Hayes, and delivered to the Navy 18 June 1917; designated SP-530; converted to a minesweeper; and commissioned at Boston 18 August 1917, Boatswain H. Miller in command.
Originally assigned to the 2d Naval District, Raymond J. Anderton was ordered prepared for distant service during conversion and soon after commissioning got underway for France as a unit of the 3d Patrol Division. Arriving in September, her division reinforced the 1st and 2d Patrol Divisions which had arrived earlier. Later shifted to the 12th Division she operated off the French coast through World War keeping clear the approaches to ports; escorting coastal convoys; and performing rescue missions. Raymond J. Anderton was decommissioned 8 September 1919 and sold overseas.
23 September 2005