The first Raymond retained her former name; the second honored Reginald Marbury Raymond, born in Sewanee, Tenn., 20 May 1912 and commissioned ensign 1 June 1933. He rose to the rank of lieutenant commander before being killed 29 April 1943, as a result of enemy action in the Pacific area, while serving in submarine Scorpion (SS-278.
(SP - 2057: tonnage 183; length 102’9”; beam 29’8”; accommodation 4; armament none)
The first Raymond was built during 1893 by the yard of Michael McDonald as a wooden barge for commercial service. She was purchased for the Navy service from E. S. Belden & Sons of New London, Conn., and delivered 21 December 1917 to the Commandant, 2d Naval District, for duty as a yard craft. Raymond was sold 15 August 1919 to Fred Starr of New York.
23 September 2005