Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Raritan

 

A river in New Jersey

 

II

 

(WYT - 93: displacement 370; length 110; beam 27; draft 11; speed 11.2 knots)

 

Raritan, a harbor tug built for the Coast Guard by Defoe Boat Works, Bay City, Mich., was launched 23 March 1939. After commissioning, the ship was assigned harbor duties at Boston, Mass.

 

Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the entire Coast Guard to the Navy. Raritan continued duty in the Boston Harbor area through the end of the war. After the Coast Guard was returned to the Treasury Department on 1 January 1946 in accordance with Executive Order 9666, the tug continued to operate in Boston Harbor. She subsequently was transferred to Portsmouth, Va., and in 1962 she was assigned to the Great Lakes.


16 September 2005