Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060



A sum paid or demanded for the redemption of a captured person.


(AM - 283: displacement 945; length 1846; beam 330; draft 99; speed 14 knots; complement 104; armament 1 3, 4 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 depth charge projectors, 1 depth charge projector (hedgehog-type); class Admirable)


Ransom (AM-283) was laid down 24 April 1943 by General Engineering & Dry Dock Co., San Francisco, Calif.; launched 18 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Dwight H. Dexter and commissioned 5 August 1944, Lt. Comdr. William N. McMillen, USNR, in command.


After shakedown off the California coast, Ransom got underway for Hawaii 15 October and arrived at Pearl Harbor a week later for escort duty back to the west coast and later to Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Kossol Roads, arriving at the latter 12 January 1945. She then worked in the antisubmarine patrol screen off Peleliu.


From 1 to 18 February, Ransom acted as harbor entrance station vessel at Kossol, and patrolled in screens between Kossol and Peleliu, before proceeding to Ulithi to stage for Operation "Iceberg."


On 19 March she sailed for the Ryukyus with TU 52.5.3 and, from 25 March to 18 April, she swept and patrolled in assigned areas around Okinawa despite heavy Japanese coastal and aerial resistance. On 6 April, Ransom shot down three suicide planes while rescuing 52 survivors of Rodman (DMS-21) and Emmons (DMS-22). The third kamikaze's bomb caused some minor damage to Ransom. Relieved of sweeping duties 18 April, Ransom was assigned to antiaircraft and antisubmarine patrol. Although damaged on the 22d by a bomb from a "Val" she had splashed 10 feet off her port quarter, Ransom continued to patrol through June.


On 4 July Ransom resumed minesweeping operations. Throughout the month she operated in the East China Sea sweeping a total of seven mines, then, on 6 August, she retired to Leyte for overhaul and repair. Returning to Okinawa at the end of the month, she continued on to Japan with TG 52.4, and on 9 September began sweeping mines at Nagasaki. On 21 September, she shifted to Bungo Suido, where she swept until the end of September. During the month Ransom swept 73 enemy mines.


Ransom departed Kure for the United States 20 November. Transiting the Panama Canal 30 December 1945, she continued on to New Orleans; underwent preinactivation overhaul; and decommissioned at Orange, Tex., 3 March 1947.


Berthed at Orange for the next 4 years, Ransom recommissioned 16 March 1951. Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, she operated out of Charleston, Norfolk, and Yorktown through 1952. She then operated from New England to the Caribbean until decommissioned at Charleston in June 1953. She arrived at Orange, Tex., 22 September and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Ransom was reclassified MSF-283 on 7 February 1955, and moved to Florida in November 1958 where she remained until struck from the Navy list 1 May 1962.


Ransom earned three battle stars for World War II service.

16 September 2005