Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ranger

 

One who wanders; a military scout.

 

VII

 

(CC - 4: displacement 43,500 (full load); length 874; beam 1055; draft 31; speed 35 knots; complement 1,500; armament 8 16, 14 6, 4 3, 8 21 torpedo tubes)

 

Ranger (CC-4), originally Lexington (q. v.), was renamed Ranger on 10 December 1917. Laid down 23 June 1921 by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Va., construction of the battle cruiser was canceled on 17 August 1923 under the terms of the Treaty Limiting Naval Armaments. The hull, 4 percent completed, was sold for scrap to Steel Scrap Co., Philadelphia, Pa., 8 November 1923.


16 September 2005