One who wanders; a military scout.
(SP - 237: displacement 149; length 133’6”; beam 22’; draft 7’; speed 13 knots; complement 45; armament 4 6-pounders)
Ranger, a steam-driven, steel-hulled yacht built by Robert Jacob, City Island, N.Y., in 1910, was purchased by the Navy 22 June 1917 and commissioned as SP-237 on 9 October 1917, Lt. J. J. Smith, USNRF, in command.
SP-237 operated as a patrol craft in the 3d Naval District until she was decommissioned on 28 April 1919 and transferred to the Coast and Geodetic Survey Office. She served with the Department of Commerce until 26 November 1930 when she was returned to the Navy. She was struck from the Navy list on 4 September 1931 and sold on 21 December 1931. The following year registry of the vessel was transferred to Panama.
16 September 2005