Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Radiant

 

(AMc - 99: displacement 228 (full load); length 970; beam 220; draft 96; speed 10 knots; complement 17; armament 2 .50 caliber machine guns; class Acme)

 

Radiant (AMc-99) was laid down by Anderson and Cristofani, San Francisco, Calif., 26 June 1941; launched 27 September 1941; sponsored by Mrs. V. Moyland; and placed in service 11 February 1942, Lt. (jg.) E. A. Loew, USNR, in command.

 

This wooden-hulled coastal minesweeper, equipped with magnetic, acoustic, and moored minesweep gear, was originally assigned to the 13th Naval District, with a home yard of Puget Sound. She operated off the Pacific Northwest until assigned to the Alaskan Sea Frontier 12 April 1944. Reassigned to the 13th Naval District 5 September 1944, she again served along the U. S. Northwest coast and was placed out of service 5 December 1945. Radiant was struck from the Navy list 12 March 1946, transferred to the Maritime Commission, and sold to North Shore Packing Co., Ltd., 7 February 1947.


07 September 2004