Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Racer

 

II

 

(IX - 100: displacement 114; length 11010; beam 170; draft 58; complement 28; armament 1 40mm.)

 

The second Racer (IX-100) was laid down as PC-501 by Seabrook Yacht Corp., Houston, Tex.; launched 24 January 1942; changed to SC-501 8 April 1943; acquired by the Navy from the Coast Guard 9 April 1943; changed to IX-100 21 April 1943; named Racer 3 May 1943; and placed in service 27 May 1943.

 

Originally attached to the 14th Naval District for fleet use, wooden-hulled Racer was reassigned to ServRon 2, upon being placed in service, and for the remainder of her career operated under the direction of the Antisubmarine Warfare Unit Sound School, Pearl Harbor.

 

Racer was placed out of service 21 May 1946, struck from the Navy list 5 June 1946, and sold 20 December 1946 to Charles Marramore of Honolulu.


07 September 2004