Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

R. W. Wilmot

 

(SP - 604: tonnage 569; length 1568; beam 30; draft 146; speed 12 knots; armament 1 3, 2 machine guns)

 

R. W. Wilmot, a steam tug built in 1898 by the Globe Iron Works, Cleveland, Ohio, was acquired 4 January 1918 from the River & Ocean Towing Co., Wilmington, Del., and placed in service 26 January 1918, Lt. J. Hansen, USNRF, in command.

 

Designated for distant service, R. W. Wilmot served with the 5th Squadron, Patrol Force, in the mid-Atlantic-southern New England area until 9 March. On the 17th she steamed east and following her arrival in France, was placed out of service and transferred to that country's government on 4 April 1918.