Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

R-25

 

(Submarine No. 102: displacement 495 (surfaced), 576 (submerged); length 175; beam 168; draft 1311 (mean); speed 14 knots (surfaced), 11 knots (submerged); complement 29; armament 1 3, 4 21 torpedo tubes; class R-21)

 

R-25 (Submarine No. 102) was laid down 26 April 1917 by the Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched 15 May 1919; sponsored by Mrs. Richard H. M. Robinson; and commissioned 23 October 1919, Lt. Comdr. Charles A. Lockwood, Jr., in command.

 

At the end of November, R-25 got underway for her homeport, Coco Solo, C.Z. Arriving 11 January 1920, she was designated SS-102 in July and, except for overhaul periods at Balboa and on the east coast, operated in the waters off the Canal Zone until the fall of 1923. In November of that year she arrived at Philadelphia; underwent inactivation overhaul and on 21 June 1924 was decommissioned and laid up at League Island. She was struck from the Navy list 9 May 1930 and sold for scrap the following July.