(Submarine No. 96: displacement 569 (surfaced), 680 (submerged); length 186’2”; beam 18’; draft 14’6”; speed 13.5 knots (surfaced), 10.5 knots (submerged); complement 29; armament 1 3”, 4 21” torpedo tubes; class R-1)
R-19 (Submarine No. 96) was laid down 23 June 1917 by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; launched 28 January 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Robert L. Irvine; and commissioned 7 October 1918, Lt. Comdr. William F. Callaway in command.
Following commissioning, R-19 remained on the west coast for 9 months. At San Pedro until March 1919, she then shifted to San Francisco, underwent overhaul, and on 17 June got underway for Hawaii. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 8 days later and commenced almost 12 years of training submarine crews and testing equipment. In July 1920 she was designated SS-96.
On 12 December 1930, R-19 departed Pearl Harbor; called at San Diego; transited the Panama Canal; thence, continued on to Philadelphia where she decommissioned 15 May 1931. Berthed at League Island for the next 9 years, she recommissioned 6 January 1941. Then reconditioned at New London, she headed south in May. During the remainder of the spring and into the fall, she patrolled and conducted training exercises in the Virgin Islands and off Panama.
In October she returned to New London and continued her role as a training submarine. On 9 March 1942, R-19 was decommissioned. She was transferred to the Royal Navy under the terms of Lend-Lease the same day. Commissioned in that Navy as P.514, the submarine was rammed by HMCS Georgian 21 June 1942 in the western Atlantic. She went down with all hands aboard.