Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Quinsigamond

 

A lake in central Massachusetts.

 

(Mon: dp. 5,660 (des.); l. 345’; b. 56’8” ; dr. 17’6” (des.); s. 10 k. (des.); a. 4 XV” D.sb. (des.); cl. Kalamazoo)

 

Quinsigamond, a double-turreted monitor, was laid down by the Boston Navy Yard in 1864, but work on her was suspended 30 November 1865. Renamed Hercules 15 June 1869, she was again renamed, Oregon, 10 August the same year. Built with improperly seasoned timber, and left exposed to rot, the ship, still on the stocks, was broken up in 1884.